Circa 1910, this house is believed to be one of the first built in Carmel-by-the-Sea. Great care was taken to preserve its treasured past while making it a larger, more functional space for the owners. Palm sanders were employed to remove decades of wear on walls and ceiling, revealing the beautiful character of the abundant redwood. The original clinker-brick fireplace makes a historic statement, complemented by the one-of-a-kind alabaster chandelier, created by a local artist. Redwood salvaged from another house was used to seamlessly integrate the new second story with the existing lower level.The wide-course shingles on the exterior, commonly used on Carmel homes of the period, were handmade onsite.